[GPSCC-chat] TPP set to destroy the Internet as we know it

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 21 11:24:51 PST 2013

Hey -

I just got this terrifying email from Demand Progress about something called the "Trans-Pacific Partnership" (TPP).

Apparently the TPP would make SOPA-like Internet censorship the norm
 -- compromising the rights of internet users all over the world.  The
US government has kept negotiations over the TPP completely secret. But
WikiLeaks leaked a chapter from the proposal. And it's terrible news for
 internet freedom.

Take a stand against SOPA-like Internet censorship. Say “no” to the
TPP:
http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/TPP3/?referring_akid=2396.298162.tZhBRa&source=taf

Over the past two years, we've defeated SOPA and its look-alike
bills time and time again. We stood up and said: We don’t want
censorship. We don't want ISPs shutting off internet connections or
blocking websites. We don't want our private data shared with copyright
trolls. We don't want infringement accusations with no due process.

But the TPP contains all of these provisions and more. They’ve
realized they can’t pass SOPA through the democratic process -- because
the people don’t want it -- so they're using the secret treaty process
to pass it by other means.

The world's governments are trying to circumvent the public to
destroy Internet freedom. We have to fight back:
http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/TPP3/?referring_akid=2396.298162.tZhBRa&source=taf

They thought they could keep it all secret until the very last
minute, and then force Congress to approve the treaty with no debate, no
 public oversight, and no amendments.

We know what they're trying to do and we can stop them. WikiLeaks
has taken the first step. A loud public outcry is the only thing that
can throw a wrench in their plans to implement SOPA-like censorship
worldwide. But we need to act now -- before it's too late.

Click here to tell Congress: reject the TPP -- while there's still
time:
http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/TPP3/?referring_akid=2396.298162.tZhBRa&source=taf

Thanks.

Sincerely,