[GPSCC-chat] Cherries

Cameron L. Spitzer cls at truffula.us
Mon Apr 14 08:06:12 PDT 2014

My impression is the actual climate situation is quite a bit worse than
the public is being told.  Scientists active in the field complain in
private that the IPCC's function is to water down the findings because
the reality is far beyond what politicians can admit in public and
remain in office.

That said, we climate activists need to be very careful to always speak
with scientific accuracy.  Every mistake or distortion is carefully
recorded by the denialist campaign, and never goes away.  Some of the
most persuasive talking points in that campaign are exaggerated
predictions from decades past which didn't come true.  Rush Limbaugh's
web site has a countdown to the day and minute when Al Gore said New
York would be under water, Hurricane Sandy notwithstanding.

There's a rich irony here.  No scientist positively attributes any
particular extreme weather event to global warming.  That's despite the
fact that we are beginning to get large events which were highly
improbable (p < 0.01) before the current temperature anomaly.  Climate
models don't predict such brief events as a single warm winter.  They
just say warm winters are more likely.

I'm here to congratulate Wes for getting it exactly right.  May we all
speak as carefully and as authoritatively, citing real evidence, as he does.

-/Cameron/