[GPSCC-chat] Fw: ATM fees robbing welfare-to-work funds in California

Drew rainbeaufriend at riseup.net
Thu Mar 27 07:04:01 PDT 2014

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Paul Hogarth, Daily Kos" <campaigns at dailykos.com>
Sent: Wed Mar 26 11:09:57 PDT 2014
To: originalpatriot at RiseUp.net
Subject: Sign the petition: ATM fees robbing welfare-to-work funds in California

Mark, sign the petition telling big banks in California to stop ripping off welfare recipients $19 million per year in ATM fees. Click here to sign the petition. [ https://www.dailykos.com/campaigns/747 ]

In California and elsewhere, most recipients of the state's welfare-to-work program receive their monthly checks through an EBT (electronic benefit transfer) card.

But each time they use these cards to get cash, the banks charge them an ATM fee.

A recent study [1] found that in 2012 big banks took "more than $19 million" out of the pockets of low-income Californians alone-just from ATM fees on their EBT cards. The average family on CalWORKS (the state's welfare-to-work program) earns about $510 per month.

Citibank has, to its credit, agreed to waive ATM fees for state-issued EBT cards. But big banks like Bank of America, Wells Fargo and JPMorgan Chase continue this abhorrent practice.

Sign the petition to the big banks, telling them to stop ripping off California's welfare-to-work recipients to the tune of $19 million per year in ATM fees. [ https://www.dailykos.com/campaigns/747 ]

Keep fighting,
Paul Hogarth, Daily Kos

[1] http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/25/1287213/-Big-banks-ATM-fees-rip-off-19-million-from-welfare-recipients?detail=email