[GPSCC-chat] Weds. 11 am Roundtable on US Surveillance and the Digital Economy

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Tue Oct 7 21:31:56 PDT 2014

       It sounds like an interesting and important topic.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend.

       My view on surveillance is summarized in the 1-minute video and
blog on "Restrict secrecy more than data collection"
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV8mHfu3mDw;
http://sanjosepeace.wordpress.com/2014/07/18/restrict-secrecy-more-than-data-collection).

       "Stingray phone trackers", owned by many police departments, can
potentially identify by name and precise location of everyone in a
peaceful assembly -- provided they have their cell phone on them and
turned on (Wikipedia,
"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_phone_tracker").  Many
intersections now have surveillance cameras that read license plates.
Face recognition software will soon be able to put names to most of the
faces in a crowd of thousands of people in the street from a photograph.

       Many government agencies will ignore any laws banning such data
collection unless we have strong laws protecting journalists and
whistleblowers.  Unfortunately, most judges in the US today will not
anyone accused of revealing state secrets to challenge the government's
claim of secrecy.  An extremely rare exception was a recent judicial
ruling to allow public access to tapes from force feeding a Guantanamo
detainee.  (See "Media and corruption" on Wikiversity
(https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Media_and_corruption).

       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD