[GPSCC-chat] San Jose City Council Votes to Oppose Plans For Crude Oil Transport

perrysandy at aol.com perrysandy at aol.com
Wed Jan 14 17:17:44 PST 2015

San Jose CityCouncil Votes to Oppose Plans For Crude Oil Transport
ByRobertHanda  NBC 11

A major oilcompany looking to transport millions of gallons of crude oil on a line thattakes it through San Jose and Santa Clara has many South Bay residents up inarms. Robert Handa reports. (Published Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015)

A major oilcompany looking to transport millions of gallons of crude oil on a train linethrough San Jose and Santa Clara has many South Bay residents up in arms.

Part of theexpansion of the Phillips 66 Santa Maria refinery operation includestransportation along a stretch on Monterey Road in South San Jose. Many peoplein the area are worried about a possible train derailment involving toxic crudeoil.

"Ourconcerns are 'What would happen if a derailment occurred?' And, in particular,the load that the trains are carrying," said Sergio Jimenez, who heads upa homeowners association in South San Jose.

A check of thearea shows a fence separating homes from the train tracks.

City CouncilmanAsh Kalra proposed San Jose take a stance on the issue with a letter opposingthe oil company's plan.

"It'scoming right through our cities within a hundred feet of homes in my councildistrict," Kalra said. "Going through farmlands in my councildistrict as well, and going through downtown."

The issue wasdiscussed at Tuesday's council meeting and a debate lasted lasted late into theafternoon, with some council members saying it is the federal government's job,not the city's, to make the call.

"We shouldalso be asking 'Is enough being done to make us safe?'" Councilman JohnnyKhamis said. "But not outright oppose it."

Ultimately, thecouncil voted unanimously to oppose the plans for crude oil to be transportedthrough San Jose and urged the San Luis Obispo Planning Commission to rejectthe expansion proposal.

Other citiesalong the rail route affected by the Santa Maria Phillips 66 project have alsosubmitted letters or passed resolutions against crude-by-rail, includingOakland, Berkeley, Richmond, Martinez, Davis and Moorpark.

Phillips 66 did not return calls seeking comment.