[Sosfbay-news] Seeking Candidate for GPCA Coordinating Committee

Jim Stauffer jims at greens.org
Sun Jan 30 16:22:47 PST 2011

Dear Greens -

We are seeking qualified individuals who would like to work with the state
Coordinating Committee (CC) on behalf of our region (Santa Clara and San
Mateo). I have served on the CC since 2007 and would like to find a replacement.

The CC is an administrative and project management body that plans and
coordinates the activities of the party, and that executes decisions made by
the General Assembly. The committee description from our bylaws is copied
below, and a job descriptions, written by CC members, follows that.

The job entails mostly email and teleconferences. You must keep up with the
online proposals and their discussions, and attend the teleconferences to
discuss and vote on the issues. You are also encouraged to involve yourself
with the state party by volunteering to be a liaison between the CC and a
committee or working group. There are also problems and issues needing
resolution that are brought to the CC. You are expected to help with some of
these tasks.

The time commitment depends on how much you want to put into it. A nominal 1-2
hours a week is probably the base. If you enjoy lengthy email discussions,
your time will increase. If you find you enjoy working at the state level,
there's plenty of opportunities to put in more time.

Our region has one Regional Representative on the CC, and we should elect an
alternate CC rep. The alternate fills in when the Reg Rep can't make a
meeting, and also helps out with some of the work.

To some extent, it is our duty to fill this seat. The Green Party is a
decentralized body with quasi-independent county chapters. But that does not
imply that we don't have to personally support the state party. To the
contrary, the state party will not exist if county Greens don't involve
themselves in it.

If you are interested in the position, please contact me.

--
Jim Stauffer
jims at greens.org
408-432-9148

             FROM THE STATE BYLAWS:

Section 7-1. Coordinating Committee
7 1.1   Duties and Authority
The Coordinating Committee shall be generally responsible for coordinating
meetings, internal communications and other administrative tasks, including
the following:
a)      Establish agenda and select facilitators for general meetings.
b)      Monitor and assist committee work and refer matters to committees.
c)      Request and receive regular reports from committees.
d)      Authorize and ratify specific expenditures
e)      Authorize and carry out the decisions of the GPCA general membership
         and make executive decisions (but not set policy) between General
         Assembly meetings.
f)      May make statements in the name of the party
g)      Is authorized to retain legal council on behalf of the GPCA.
h)      Is authorized to make decisions which legal counsel advises.

           REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVE
          Empirical Job Desrciption

The duties listed here were compiled from the experiences of past Regional
Representatives. Not every representative will have a need to perform every
task. But this shows the breadth of tasks a representative may encounter.

The duties of Green Party of California - Coordinating Committee (GPCA-CC)
Regional Representatives may include:

+  All activities to do with the facilitation and maintenance of active status
(GPCA bylaws Article 4), of the counties in the region.

+  All activities to do with maintaining a pro-active role as a voting member
of the GPCA-CC, not limited to and including GPCA bylaws Art.7 Sec.1.3.

Specific duties:

1.  Activate periodic regional meetings, and/or regional caucus at GPCA
General Assemblies.

2.  Solicit the organization of inactive counties, and provide pro-active
guidance and assistance to counties seeking active status.

3.  Provide pro-active guidance and assistance to counties whose county
organization is in need of support, restructuring or is malfunctioning.

4.  Attend all GPCA-CC meetings, teleconferences, voting sessions, and GPCA
General Assmeblies. Also to maintain participation in GPCA-CC tasks and
committee work. Appoint a standing alternate to attend/vote in case of an
unavoidable absence. It is preferable that the alternate is an ongoing
position (GPCA bylaws Art.7 Sec.1.5), and will assist in the regional reps.
duties.

5.  Be attentive to, and participate in if necessary, the GPCA-CC listserve at
a minimum of twice a week. Those participating without online capabilities
will require additional communication effort (shared computer, library
computer, telephone).

6.  Insure the flow of information between the GPCA and counties.

7.  Help maintain GPCA databases regarding both active and inactive counties,
e.g. county contacts, bylaws, county councils, etc.

8.  Inform the GPAC-CC co-coordinators when communication is interrupted, e.g.
computer failure, vacation, resignation, so that any adjustments necessary can
be made.

9.  Maintain a working knowledge of the GPCA bylaws and platform, and perform
Coordinating Committee duties accordingly.

10.  Encourage personal responsibility by actively recruiting and training GP
members who indicate interest in future regional rep or at-large GPCA-CC
positions.