[GPSCC-chat] Crimea

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Mon Mar 17 08:47:01 PDT 2014

       The US has tried to countermand local elections for quite some time.

             * 1952:  President Truman endorsed a military coup on Cuba
when it became clear that the US puppet there would lose. Fidel Castro
was running for some minor office in that election. It's cancellation
pushed him to adopt more radical measures.

             * 1953:  President Eisenhower ordered the Central
Intelligence Agency to organize the secret destruction of democracy in
Iran, and subjected that country to a quarter century of state terror.
Iran has no reason to fear the intentions of the US?

             * 1964:  President Johnson ordered the destruction of
democracy in Brazil.  The current president of Brazil, Dilma Rousseff,
is telling the world she was tortured by that dictatorship in the
1970s.  Is that in our interest or the interest of the Brazilians?

       The US has been intervening in foreign countries at least since
President Washington sent US tax money to plantation owners in Haiti to
help them suppress a slave rebellion there during the French
Revolution.  However, that did not involve countermanding a local election.

       I have two blogs at "sanjosepeace.wordpress.com" that provide
more examples (with citations for those who would like to know even more).

       Thanks for asking.

       Spencer